Thursday, November 24, 2011

Thimble or change pouch with squeeze opening

Busy Busy - Opps! ... and a Thimble Holder Tute!

So, it has not been a good week ... china wise :( Sometime ago I gently smacked the sugar bowl to my good china. I didn't even notice it at first - then a small crack appeared. The crack has been growing ever since, and last week it exploded!!! WHAAAAA! Then, just to end my week, a tea plate to my every day china snapped - I mean just snapped in half as I was taking it out of the dishwasher. Geeeesss!

Ok, to make up for all that bad luck the mater, after cleaning dresser drawers (aka downsizing) donated a box (eat yer heart out girls) of hankies! Yup dainty hankies. Not sure what I'll be doing with them ... but at some point something creative will cross my mind. Speaking of creative .... here's block nine of my Tisket-Tasket block challenge. I enjoyed doing this one, I think the Scottie dog is kinda cute!

I've been doing a fair bit of blog surfing lately and have truly enjoyed several great tutorials out there. I have decided that it's time to take a stab at my own, so - for all you out there who like handmade, enjoy being GREEN, and appreciate tutorials .... here's my first! Just about all of us purchase either margarine or yogurt which leave us with loads of plastic containers and lids. Save the lids!
Make yourself a paper elongated egg shaped pattern about 3" to 3.5" long. With a marker trace the outline of this pattern onto recycled plastic lids. Cut out three with "utility" scissors. Next, trace your pattern onto your fabric, six times!
Cut out your fabric, leaving a scant 1/4" seam allowance. Take two fabric pieces and pin match the points, right sides together. Starting about 1/4 " from the bottom right hand corner hand sew up to the corner, around the far side and around the top to the left corner then about 1/4 " along the bottom left, following the marked lines. I use a back stitch as you want this seam to really hold.

Now, turn your piece inside out making sure you have nice neat corners. Insert one of your plastic pieces ... trim to fit if necessary, accuracy is not necessary and is the beauty of this little project! I use a ladder stitch at this point to close the fabric around the plastic. the smaller the stitch the better.

You should now have a fabric covered plastic pattern piece. Make two more exactly the same. Hold two of your pieces together and whip stitch them together. Once this is done grab the third piece and whipstitch it to one side of the pair - doesn't matter which side. Now it's time to decide if you want to add some beads, ribbon or some kind of tag/handle.
Here's where you get to be creative and come up with something unique! I've used ribbon and beads.
To complete your thimble holder sew closed about 1/4" at both ends. you will find the "thimble" holder closes and stays closed better if you do not skip this last step! I'm putting "thimble" in quotes - just because I use it to hold my thimbles doesn't mean everyone has to use it the same way. Mon mater uses her's to keep her rings in when she's away from home and takes them off . A friend uses her's to keep her pills in ... lots of ways these little containers can be used! I made up half a dozen or so for my guild for their quilt show. We have a "toonie" table - wee gift items which visitors can purchase, and the proceeds go to the guild and help finance our charity work during the year. Here are my completed thimble holders!

0 comments:

Post a Comment